Camp Packing List!

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Hello Lovelies!

I know you will all be excited and getting prepared for camp (I know I sure am!). I know and understand how daunting it is packing for camp if you have never been to camp before, so I thought let's write a packing list! There are some things I wish i'd have taken less/more of last year, and these mistakes I will (hopefully) learn from. I highly advise for anyone travelling prior or after camp to buy packing cubes to organise your clothing so you aren't rummaging around your case and messing up your nearly packed clothes every day!

This may mainly help females, but here goes...

Essentials:

  • BRITISH TEA BAGS! PLENTY OF THEM!!!!!!!
  • 14 x underwear
  • 14 x pair of socks (they go missing)
  • 1 or 2 appropriate bikinis/swimsuits (unless you're waterfront or a general counselor then PLEASE take more, I never went into the water! Only on 4th July when I was thrown in) 
  • 1 or 2 warm hoodies/fleeces
  • 1 pair of warm PJ's (It's really cold at the start of camp)
  • Girls - take a few t-shirts and pairs of comfy shorts to sleep in
  • 10 x Day tops
  • 5 x Nice tops for days off and nights off
  • 3 x pairs of jeans
  • 3 x pair of jean shorts
  • 3 x pair of fabric shorts
  • 3 x active wear leggings
  • A thin waterproof jacket with a hood
  • 3 x sports bra's (you can always buy more active wear at Walmart or TJ Maxx!)
  • 1 pair of good comfy trainers, 1 pair of sports/running trainers, 1 pair of nice sandals, 1 pair of dolly shoes/ballet pumps 
  • A little bottle of sun cream and after sun - again, if you're waterfront or a general please just buy a big bottle at walmart. I took far too much sun cream for the summer and I only used it once on a day off!
  • Straighteners (I took Remmington's and they were FAB, even with the voltage in the US)
  • PEOPLE OF FRENCHWOODS: Pack a nice banquet outfit like a dress, or playsuit etc, last year I didn't pack anything half as nice as people had brought, so therefore I ran around Philadelphia in a mad panic to try and find a banquet outfit - I was not impressed with my outfit but hey ho!
Extra Essentials: 

Remember, check whether your camp does a trip to the nearest Walmart/Target so you don't have to take 3 months of toiletries!!! If your camp does do a Walmart trip (Frenchwoods does!) then only take minimal of the following to get you through the first few days of camp!
  • A toiletry bag with a hook (you can get these from Primark, my best purchase of 2017)
  • Mini pack of makeup wipes
  • Mini travel shampoo
  • Mini travel conditioner
  • Mini shaving foam
  • Mini body wash
  • 1 x disposable Razor
  • Face cloth
  • Body sponge
  • Mini tooth paste
  • Toothbrush (and a toothbrush cover, you can get them from the pound shop, I felt more hygienic with a cover over mine!)
  • Hair grips
  • Hair tie's
  • Mini elastic bands - essential if you can french/dutch plait. I spent almost every morning french braiding my campers (or co-counselors hair). 
  • Bring your own lightweight bath towel (so that your weight isn't taken up by a towel!) if staying in a hostel before camp, check to see if the hostel provides towels etc.
  • Face cloth
Helpful Extras
  • 2/3 x US plug adapters
  • PORTABLE CHARGERS!
  • Extension lead from your home country
  • Photographs from home to pin up in your bunk, the kids love learning about your home life and seeing photographs of your family
  • If you're a coffee lover, either bring the 3in1 or 2in1 coffee sachets (you can get so many from the pound shop etc) it may take up less weight that bringing along a jar of your fav coffee
  • Revolut travel card, you can get these online and you get sent a physical card as well as being able to control your payments through the app. You can transfer money from your bank and transfer it into any currency. You get the best exchange rate at the time too, mine was a life saver!
  • BUG SPRAY! I recommend Mosi Guard, it is not only insect repellent... but people repellent! But it does the job
  • Extra piercings such as nose studs in case you lose them, clear piercing jewellery etc if your camp requires (Frenchwoods clan, we need clear piercing jewellery!)
  • Bring along a few extra pairs of your fav false eyelashes and some stick on nails from Primark (best things ever!!), you might want to have a little pamper before banquet!
Things to buy on the Walmart/Target haul:
  • A big bottle of shampoo and conditioner (I recommend the big Tresemme bottles)
  • Big bottle of shaving foam and a packet of razors
  • Toothpaste and extra toothbrushes
  • Big bottle of body wash
  • NEW BEDDING! Camp gives you basic bedding which is not great. I advise if you're travelling after camp, buy a sleeping bag. If not, buy proper fluffy bedding. It was the best decision I made and the best $30 I spent.
  • Fairy lights to make your bunk feel homely
  • A hairdryer
  • Any extra makeup needed (Walmart sells Rimmel London products - my go to cheap foundation) Do NOT take expensive make-up, it may get lost or broken and it's not worth it - side note, a cleaner in San Fran stole my smashbox contour kit, I was NOT impressed.
  • A box of plasters (or band aids as the Americans call them!)
  • Any extra medication like Vitamins (my lifesavers), Sudafed (WILL BE NEEDED), Antihistamines (for those whom suffer with hayfever like me) *note* These will need 
  • to be kept in your camps infirmary/wellness centre and NOT in the bunks!!
  • An umbrella
  • Wellies! Or gum boots... or whatever you like to call them!
  • A hot water bottle
  • A nice little cup for coffee/tea (or even a flask) so you don't have to drink out of polystyrene all summer
  • Plenty of face masks!!! 
  • An extra bath towel 
  • A water bottle
  • A US USB plug - This came in so handy for charging things so I did not have to carry a US adapter around
Don't panic if you forget anything, you can order things from Amazon to camp! I bought so many false eyelashes it was ridiculous haha!
I hope this little packing list helps you all a little bit more, and if you think of anything helpful to add to the list, please feel free let me know and i'll pop it on!

Happy Packing Camp Counselors!

Jade x x 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this list with us! I'd like to advise you reading this article http://www.agsinger.com/international-travel-packing-checklist/, I'm sure that you'll find in it lots of useful packing checklist tips. It's also always a good idea to consider keeping notes after each trip of what you used, didn’t use, or wish you had brought more along. I always try to keep my own list of packing hacks in my luggage so that I’ll see it the next time I pack for a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great camp packing list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete