5 Top Tips to Tackle Camp Fairs!

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Hey everyone!


I know it's been a while since I last wrote a blog post about my whirlwind of a summer. I do not think I have stopped since I landed back from LA in September.

For those whom don't know, I am now a Campus Manager for AmeriCamp, which means I conduct interviews with new AmeriCamp applicants, and talk about camp to applicants on twitter - I love it so far. 

As for my real life... it's all going to pot really! I've been back on UK soil a total of 15 weeks and in that time I have managed to meet 6 deadlines all adding up to 12,500 words, and I now have 8 exam essays to revise for. Not to mention I've got to learn 14 different statistical analysis methods which honestly may as well be written in Swahili! I mean i'm sure by now that it's clear that I have a non-existent social life... of course I still live and breathe the gym. AND... I turn 21 in 19 days (AGH!!) It's all "woe is me" at the minute. 

But there is some good news!

The good news is that I'm going back to camp! For those who do not know, I signed my contract back in October. My co-counselor Steph and my friend Beth (one of the girls I met at the AmeriCamp orientation) is coming back too!


Anyway, less of the ramble. The AmeriCamp Camp Fairs are coming up, and well, i've been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and all that. So I thought I would write a few top tips how to not only get through the camp fair, but how to prepare too. 

1) RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO!

Honestly, I would 100% research around 3 of your favourite camps attending the fair before you go. This means that you know where you're making a beeline for once those doors open at the fair. After all, you don't want to walk in, become overwhelmed, and then just end up at the back of a queue at a camp you don't know a thing about. It would also be an idea to print out maybe 2 copies of your application to hand to the couple of camp directors you speak to. You can never be too prepared!

Write up a word document and place it in a nice little file, although you don't have to turn up all suited and booted (I mean you're going to spend all summer in casual clothes anyway) it just look's professional to be prepared, and shows that you're taking this summer job seriously. 

Once you've picked your potential 3 camps, research into the type of camp it is (e.g traditional, speciality, special needs) and their motivations and camp motto. Look into where the camp is situated and research the camps daily routine, how many campers to counselors there will be in a bunk etc. Maybe even potentially ask about days off. Look into what activities are available at the camp... make sure the skills you have to offer are actually taught at the camp (and make sure there are positions available for your skill, it should say at the side of the camp directors table). 

Also, write down your questions you want to ask in your file.There is no kidding that these camp fairs can be quite intimidating, and once it is finally your turn to speak to the director it is so easy to tense up and your brain turns to goo!

2) Be prepared to queue.

Do not underestimate the amount of people going to attend this fair. I'm not saying turn up at 6am before the AmeriCamp crew, but if the fair starts at 12.30pm don't just stroll up at 12.29pm and expect to be in and out in an hour. 

I started queuing at Chipinaw for around an hour, just to be told they ran out of the performing arts position I was going for. I then stood at French Woods for way over 2 and a half hours, and was placed to be a Fine Arts counselor. 

Take a snack, and a big bottle of water in your bag to keep you going, because for the best part of the day you will be in a queue. Be talkative whilst queuing too, everyone around you is in the same position as you and the girl in front of you might just be placed at the same camp as you! It's never too early to make camp friends. 

3) Know your skills

If you're wanting to be a Fine Arts counselor, you'll know from your interview what kind of skills you'll be doing e.g tie dye, batik, friendship bracelets. So maybe write down in your file what you can do and what you're capable of - again so you can just have a quick glance in case you freeze up. Maybe even take pictures of the things you've done/created to show the camp director, or even the real thing. Again, preparation is key!

4) BREATHE, RELAX AND BE CALM

Now I mean, i'm not the best person to talk about being calm when under pressure. But the psychologist inside me can try help. 

If you really do crumble under pressure, try relax the night before, take a herbal remedy such as kalms, have a relaxing bath and an early night. A well rested body means a well rested brain! On camp fair day, wake up in plenty, have a slice of toast for breakfast with a cuppa whilst reading over your notes. 

Try find other applicants attending the same camp fair as you on social media. Social media was my saviour for making friends. Making a friend or two prior to the camp fair means you could meet up with them before and walk into the fair together, meaning you should be a little calmer with a familiar face around. There is also an AmeriCamp whatsapp group with a lot of lovely applicants if anyone wants to be added, let me know! 

When entering the fair and it's almost your time to speak to the camp director, just breathe. It's not the end of the world if you don't get plACed... everything happens for a reason and it just means that the perfect camp hasn't found you yet. 

5) BE YOURSELF and have FUN!

I know the word "fun" might seem a bit far fetched to you because it's your summer job that is on the line, but this experience is meant to be enjoyable.

When speaking to a camp director, honesty is key. If you don't feel comfortable in teaching something they ask you, don't just say "Oh yes I can do that", because the chances are you'll get to camp and panic because you've been given a job you're not comfortable doing. For instance, I didn't really know how to make friendship bracelets or do pottery, I made this clear to the director at French Woods whom interviewed me, and I did however mention to him that I would be willing to learn these skills (and I did). 

My main point here is, don't go up to a camp director and try to sell yourself as mega experienced if you're not just because the camp director is asking you a few tricky questions. Just mention you're not really sure or you haven't done that before, but you would be willing to learn. I was originally wanting to be a dance teacher at camp, when the director saw I had a few limited skills from when I was 16 within art, he asked if I would be willing to teach it. Of course I mentioned I wasn't the best drawing etc, but I would be more than willing to excel my skills within the friendship bracelets/ceramics section of the department. The camp director will appreciate your honesty!

I hope this helps calm the camp fair nerves a little.

Just be yourself, be confident, believe in yourself and have FUN!

You'll be jetting off to the states in no time.

Good Luck AmeriCampers, I cannot wait to see your #plACedFace's. 

Lots of love,
Jade xo




You Might Also Like

0 comments