Session 1 Festival Weekend

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Thursday 21st June

Another chilled out day in Art. 

It’s also the start of festival weekend!!! We were able to see a few of our girls in the “One Act” Plays. They were all fantastic!

It was meeting night tonight, meaning it was a pretty late night for us counselors - I was happy when it was eventually bed time. 

Friday 22nd June

Today was our second to last day of a normal schedule for session 1! It has gone by so quickly.

After dinner and rest hour, we went to the Rock Concert. At the rock concert we watched kids perform in bands they created just under 2 weeks prior. It was great!

Saturday 23rd June

The last day of a usual schedule! In my hour off, a camper arrived who would be staying in the bunk we are currently in. Steph and I are moving bunks tomorrow to a brand new bunk, I’m so excited! The kids are moving too on changeover day.

After rest hour, we went to see our first musical of the summer - The Producers. It was absolutely amazing! 

Sunday 24th June

Today, I moved all my belongings to my new bunk before heading to art for the morning but decided to see the circus show after lunch which was 90’s themed. It was insane. These children are so incredibly gifted! 

After circus, I stayed in art until it was tea time and then decided to see one of my girls in the show “Hello my baby”. It was a great show.

After the theatre show at about 10.30 was the circus Firefly show. It was amazing seeing those kids play with literal fire and seeing one of my girls on the flying trapeze! After a long but great day, it was finally time for bed.

Monday 25th June

Parents visiting day number 2. This morning I headed to art for a couple of hours before watching the dance. I was so proud of every single child in that show. A lot of the kids I see in the art department and it’s incredible seeing them in these shows on festival weekend, as I never get to see this side to them. 

After the dance show, it was time for lunch and time to say farewell to one of the lovely campers. It pulled at my heart strings saying bye to her for a potential 2 years. 

I then helped clean the new bunk and decided to see another few of my girls in their show - Nice work if you can get it. Luckily the theatre they were performing in was right next to our cabin. 

After dinner, it was finally time to see Ron’s show Hello Dolly! And oh my gosh. That show could have been on Broadway. The acting and singing was absolutely phenomenal. I would have seen that over again. And it was only completed in a mere 10 days. Just incredible. I cannot wait for my parents to come to camp and experience the talent.

Tuesday 26th June

This day is always going to be a toughie. It’s been exactly 3 years ago since my family and I were caught up in the terrorist attack in Tunisia. I truly don’t think that anyone can ever understand the things we have been through and still go through. I will always remember the people who reach out to me on this difficult day, especially the people at camp - I could not be more grateful for the few of you! My head counselor was also an absolute star today - thank you!

I woke up and FaceTimed my parents before heading back to the bunk for the last breakfast with my session 1 campers. After breakfast, we helped move the rest of the campers from our old bunk over to the new bunk. Steph and I then had to say bye to one of our campers, which tugged at mine, stephs and the campers mum’s heart strings. We then greeted our session 2 campers (most of which we had last year) and I couldn’t be more than happy to see them and their parents! It was lovely already being familiarised with the parents and the girls, which made this day just that much easier. It was so nice to be reunited. 

And if this day wasn’t already emotional enough I received a lovely card from my parents at lunch.

It was a pretty long day today settling the girls in, unpacking and making 12 beds.

After dinner was the orientation for the girls which explains the different activities the camp has to offer - which is a LOT! 

After a whirlwind of emotions today, I was glad whhen it was finally bed time! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments