Session 4, Week 1

Monday, August 20, 2018

Sunday 5th August

Today was yet another very hot day at French Woods. I think it’s a curse that it’s always unbaringly hot on changeover day!!  
In the morning I helped clean the bunk and I also got to meet Steph’s mum which was lovely. After lunch I helped unload the campers off of the buses and unload luggage which was hard work for a weakling like me. 

It was so lovely to realise that the campers I had in fourth session last year came back! I didn’t realise they were coming back! 

Evening activity was my 8th and very last orientation, how strange. 

On the way to canteen I managed to do a graceful fall on the grass and get mud all over me. Typical Outram fashion. 

Monday 6th August 

Today was 6 minor day. I pretty much stayed in ceramics the whole day which was good fun. It was great meeting all the new campers! 

Tonight was my 8th and last ever night with Josh - it was fab as always, especially this time because it was Disney themed! 

Tuesday 7th August

Today was the first day of scheduling, i’m in ceramics and mosaics all day which I enjoy so much. I have the last period of the day off which means I can finally find time in my 17 hour days to go to the gym woohoo. Today I decided to FaceTime my parents as I hadn’t had an houd off since Thursday and needed to catch them up on the Festival Weekend Antics.

Evening activity was watching the xary over show West Side Story. I’d never watched it before, but my gosh of course French Woods absolutely smashed the performance. It was insane! 

Wednesday 8th August. 

We played games as a bunk with our Head Counselor as evening activity which was super fun and chilled out - just what we needed. However, when we came out of the games we needed to build an ark or pretty much scuba dive to our bunk with the amount of rain that had fallen. Bunks were flooded, there were rivers of water gushing down from all corners of camp. The stream that runs through camp was bursting, and to top it all off the entire camp had no water! Ironic really. There was no water for showers, the loo’s, the sinks. Nothing! Luckily I had a shower this afternoon so I didn’t go to bed smelly haha.

Thursday 9th August 

We awoke with still no running water! I couldn’t believe it! We watched our camper in the play “Getting Out” this afternoon which was insane! It was really moving. 

We as a bunk had managed to go 26 hours without running water! We was the last cabin on camp to not have water and I have never appreciated running water so much in my life haha.

Friday 10th August

Tonight we saw the show Spelling bee, which was such an uplifting and positive show. It even incorporated audience participation which was clever.

After the show it was time for the staff meeting. I could not believe it when my head counselor got up infront of the 500ish staff members that we have at camp and gave a speech. Only for me to find out that I was chosen as counselor of the week. Only one boy and one girl per week gets chosen as Counselor of the Week. I still cannot believe that little me managed to get it! It’s so refreshing and reassuring to know that you are actually doing your job. I feel so honoured!

Saturday 11th August 

Tonight we watched the Gentlemans Guide to love and murder which was the final carry over show that we would be watching. It was so clever and cast so perfectly! 

Sunday 12th August

Tonight we watched the staff show which was High School Musical. It had only been blocked and choreographed in a mere 5 or so rehearsals at ungodly night hours. My co counselor Hannah bagged the role of Kelsey which was amazing! It was such a good show. 


It was a lovely way to round the week off before lazy day tomorrow. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments