The Final Festival Weekend

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Friday 24th August 

It was a usual morning, however parents started arriving after lunch. It seemed so surreal not only having campers parents turning up, but my own parents! It still felt so surreal. 

My campers, my parents and I decored to watch Legally blonde this afternoon which was incredible! I only just watched the film with my friend Emma before coming to the states, and the show is just as good as the film! 

After dinner, we headed to see the younger kids show Cinderella. A few of the girls I taught in ceramics were in the show which was so lovely to watch. As the show was only 45 minutrs, we caught the second half of funny girl before heading to the circus firefly show.

As ever, the firefly show was just as astonishing. Those kids really do work hard and have such special and unique talents! 

Saturday 25th August

I cannot believe today was the last day of summer! In some ways the summer has been endless, and in other ways it has flown by in an instant. 

My parents arrived around 10.15am and saved me from the never ending clean up of our walk in wardrobe haha. We watched the dance show which was great ever, before heading to lunch. After lunch, we watched Nine which was an amazing show - my parents loved it and were both blown away by the incredible talent. 

After our last dinner at French Woods (I was quite relieved because I had been suffering so much stomach pain from the food for the last 6 weeks!) we headed tl the circus pavillion to watch the circus show. It’s always emotional watching the final circus show and seeing the kids just put their heart and soul into their performance. We then made our way to the Pavilion to get seata for Billy Elliott. The little lad who played Billy was super cute! And what a lovely musical right from home to end French Woods 2018 with. 

After the show, my parents left and the counselors stayed to hear each bunk’s wishes to be read out. Once all fhe wishes were read, we all watched the 20 minute long end of year video which I think brought a smile to everyone’s faces. 
I think it was around 12.30am before we got to the canteen to watch the 2018 burnout. I did not actually cry once, which I was super shocked about! 

Once burnout finished, I headed back to the bunk with the girls to get showered and pack my last minute things. It was also very very sweet that although all of my campers parents came to visit, 7 of the 9 decided to stay at camp and catch the bus home as they wanted to spend the last night with us! We decided to go back to our childhood and get all the mattresses into the middle of the floor and have a last night sleepover. It was so cute, I felt like I was 13 again! We were chattering and didn’t sleep until about 4am haha! It’s definitely a precious moment I will cherish. 

Sunday 26th August

This morning leave camp! I cant believe that this day is finally here! We woke up at 5.30am ready for breakfast at 6.15, it was completely different to last year’s leaving day. Last year it was about 3 degrees, and this year it was acually really hot.

After breakfast, we headed up to the parking lot to say goodbye to our campers which was so sad. Steph, Hannah and I then cleaned the whole bunk from top to bottom in about an hour, meaning that we still had about 2 hours to kill until Steph and Hannah left, and about 3 until my parents were picking me up. 

At 10am I said goodbye to Sarah and Dan, 11am, Steph and Sarah, then finally at around 12pm, my Dad pulled into the car park and it was so surreal that I would finally be leaving camp.

After packing things away in the car, we headed to the Cow Lick for one final ice-cream in my sunny, peaceful bubble before driving in to New York City. 

Once we arrived in NYC, we headed to our hotel - The Skyline. We stayed there in 2011 when we went to NYC for my Auntie’s 40th, it’s a lovely hotel (deffo reccommend). We got ready and went for a drink in the sports bar opposite the hotel before heading to Applebee’s at Times Square. So many people from French Woods were there! Out of all the restaurants in NYC and we all decided to go there?! 


We had a lovely meal before heading to bed because quite frankly we were all just exhausted. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments